Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The tradition lives on


Holy Cross School existed for well over 100 years and during that time many traditions came into being and were maintained.

One of these traditions was the annual May Day celebration culminating in the crowning of a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary with a wreath of flowers.

That tradition was continued last Sunday by some of the parish's 8th grade girls. They were assisted by an honor guard of 8th grade boys and flower girls from the younger grades.

The school may have been forced to close but the tradition lives on.

More photos here and still more here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Thank you for the beautiful pictures of the children. They are the future of Holy Cross Parish.

The children will always remember these special times at Holy Cross.

Mike Shea said...

Anon. 8:22,

One of those "special times" - for me, anyway - was all those girls, still in their good clothes and shoes, cavorting around the playground after all the ceremonies were over (see the last 2 dozen or so photos here).

I had already packed up my camera and was heading for my car when I saw what was going on. Well, I never pass up opportunities like that and that camera was out of its bag in what had to be record time.

I sure hope I didn't get any of them in trouble with their mothers, but those shots were just too good to pass up.