Thursday, September 25, 2008

I already have my opinion. Don't bother me with facts.

Rowan Williams, the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury, took part in an international Mass yesterday at Lourdes, France.  The Mass was part of the 150th anniversary celebrations of the apparitions of Our Lady to St. Bernadette Soubirous.

Protestant fundamentalists lost no time in taking Dr. Williams to task.  According to one report,

The Rev. Jeremy Brooks ... said: "All true Protestants will be appalled that the archbishop of Canterbury has visited Lourdes and preached there.

"Lourdes represents everything about Roman Catholicism that the Protestant Reformation rejected, including apparitions, Mariolatry and the veneration of saints," he said in a Sept. 24 statement.

Rev. Brooks seems oblivious to the dozens, if not hundreds, of well documented cures that have taken place at Lourdes over the last century and a half.

His tone leads one to suspect that he could be presented with boxes of X-rays, lab tests and medical reports and his only reply would be, "Please! I already have my opinion.  Don't bother me with facts."

No comments: