Wednesday, July 2, 2008

10 Years Later

One of my Google Alerts just picked up a 10 year-old article from National Catholic Reporter.  Entitled Pastor of liberal parish blames transfer on Rome, the story focuses on parishioner and staff reaction at Corpus Christi Church to the announcement that then-pastor Fr. Jim Callen was to be transferred.

One paragraph that caught my eye reads,

"Jim said, 'In 10 years this will all look silly,'" [supervising sacristan Margaret] Whittman recalled. "He said, 'In 10 years we'll have married priests, we'll have women priests, we'll have interfaith communion.'" (emphasis added)

This reminded me of one of Moses' instructions to the Isrealites:

If you say to yourselves, "How can we recognize an oracle which the LORD has spoken?", know that, even though a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if his oracle is not fulfilled or verified, it is an oracle which the LORD did not speak. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously. (Deuteronomy 18:21-22)

It sure looks "Jim" has failed the prophet test.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Shea said...

Dr. K.,

While all the abuses you mention are happening in DOR, they are just that: abuses.

A bishop with half a backbone could end them in short order.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CathParent said...

Dr. K:
I agree with most of your opinions. I believe liturgical dancing, clapping and hand gestures while singing "Alleluia", bongos and dancing tambourine players do not fit in with the reverence of the Mass. I avoid the "youth Masses" at our parish whenever possible. I want to be able to see the tabernacle during Mass, not have it hidden away in some alcove or in the back of the Church
I'm curious, however, about why Spanish Masses are a problem? I don't understand a word of Spanish myself, but Hispanics are the fastest growing Catholic demographic, especially in the urban areas. In my opinion, they should be able to enjoy Mass in their vernacular, just as we do. St Stanislaus used to have Polish Masses, although I'm not sure they still do.
Hispanics tend to be very traditional, and I would think we should do whatever it takes to make them feel welcome.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.